My Home VM Solution by premade MicroOS
power of orchestration
I am a member of openSUSE Japanese user group. I was openSUSE.Asia Summit 2017 local committee and 2018 global committee. I introduced Portus in Japanese Open Source Conference Tokyo 2018 spring and some articles. I also introduced Kubic. I am using openSUSE in my house since openSUSE 13.1.
No video of the event yet, sorry!
I will explain my home VM solution.
If I define Virtual Machine spec to YAML and run a script, MicroOS is created on KVM and run. and services defined in YAML start.
Before shutting down the host all VM is destroyed.
This solution uses the below tools:
- Premade MicroOS image
- shell script
If once run, Script automatically set up VM, services, and Kubernetes. Kubernetes is provisioned by k3s.
Storage can be attached. so I can use persistent volumes and I can always use the newest Premade MicroOS image.
I describe How to implement this solution and explain problems and how to be resolved these.
Solved problems are:
- network settings
- storage attachment
- VM parallel creating
- first confirmation when ssh login
- ansible inventory
These are the subjects I would like to try:
- To manage from the frontend like LibreOffice Calc or Web Page.
- To cancel creation. this is necessary when shutting down immediately after power on the host.
- Automatically update premade MicroOS image.
- To rewrite by python. the bash shell script is good but a bit hard.
I know there are some solutions like this. but I want to develop this solution by myself because I can modify everything, I can know everything, and I can feel the power of orchestration.
- 2022 September 30 - 12:15
- 30 min
- Main Track
- openSUSE.Asia Summit 2022